Posted on March 26, 2011 by recipesbysam
It is truly said that cooking is an art. Everyone can do it but it takes time and patience to master it. Take the simple dish of sabudana khichdi. I learnt to make it 3 years ago and I have been beating my head as to how to get the perfect khichdi.
My sabudana khichdi used to be sticky and gooey. I had been told that peanut powder helps to separate the sago pearls but no matter how much peanut powder I added, it stayed that way. The worst thing is people rarely divulge their trade secrets so I had to go on my own quest to perfect my khichdi. Here are some tips to get it just right.
1. After soaking the sabudana, wash it in rice sieve to get rid of the small particles.
2. Squeeze the sabudana to remove as much water as possible.
3. Always prepare the khichdi in ghee to get the best results.
4. Saute the sabudana in ghee for a few minutes till it gets translucent. This will help in separating the pearls too. This will also ensure that a small quantity of peanut powder is required.
5. Now add the peanut powder and other spices and mix. Cover and simmer for 5 mins before serving.
Filed under: Breakfast, Main course, Snack | Tagged: sabudana khichdi | Leave a Comment »
Posted on October 3, 2008 by recipesbysam
Sabudana khichdi can be served as a snack or as a part of main course. It is also favored as a fasting food.
Time for cooking – 15 mins
Servings – 2 people
250 gms sabudana (sago)
100 gms peanuts
2 green chillies
Oil 2 tblsp
Mustard seeds (rai) 1 tblsp
Hing I pinch
Red chilli powder 1 tblsp
Salt 2 tblsp
Soak sabudana in ample water for 4-5 hours till it is soft. Sieve. Roast the peanuts and grind them to form powder. Keep aside. The peanuts prevents the sabudana from sticking and forming lumps. Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds, hing and cut green chillies. When mustard seeds start to pop, add the sabudana, peanuts, red chilli powder and salt. Stir properly and cook on low flame for 7-10 minutes. Take it off the flame and add lemon juice.
Tip: Sabudana khichdi can be served with curd or as is. Add grated coconut for garnish.You can also add boiled potatoes to the khichdi.
Filed under: Main course, Snack | Tagged: fast food, fasting food, sabudana khichdi, sabudane ki khichdi, sago khichdi | Leave a Comment »