It is truly said that cooking is an art. Everyone can do it but it takes time and patience to master it. Take the simple dish of sabudana khichdi. I learnt to make it 3 years ago and I have been beating my head as to how to get the perfect khichdi.
My sabudana khichdi used to be sticky and gooey. I had been told that peanut powder helps to separate the sago pearls but no matter how much peanut powder I added, it stayed that way. The worst thing is people rarely divulge their trade secrets so I had to go on my own quest to perfect my khichdi. Here are some tips to get it just right.
1. After soaking the sabudana, wash it in rice sieve to get rid of the small particles.
2. Squeeze the sabudana to remove as much water as possible.
3. Always prepare the khichdi in ghee to get the best results.
4. Saute the sabudana in ghee for a few minutes till it gets translucent. This will help in separating the pearls too. This will also ensure that a small quantity of peanut powder is required.
5. Now add the peanut powder and other spices and mix. Cover and simmer for 5 mins before serving.